Fort Dorchester was built on the Ashly River of South Carolina in 1757. The construction was of “tabby,” a concrete-like mixture of sand, oyster shells and lime. During the American Revolution the fort failed to secure the nearby community of 17th century Dorchester from the British, who overran the fort and occupied and sacked the town in 1780.
Fort Dorchester was commanded by Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox”, of South Carolina. These are the ruins of a powder magazine which once stood within. The ruins are Fort Dorchester are located near present day Summerville.