Located in the Financial District of lower Manhattan, New York City.
At the close of the war, on December 4, 1783, General George Washington bade farewell to his officers at a banquet held in the Long Room, located on the second floor of the Fraunces Tavern. The proprietor, Samuel Fraunces, a West Indian of French ancestry, later became Washington’s chief steward. Fraunces, also an American patriot, played host to secret meetings of the Sons of Liberty and gave aid to American prisoners of war. The present building, purchased by the Sons of the Revolution (not S.A.R.) in 1904, was extensively restored and has since been maintained by them, according to a plaque on the side of the building.
The image, Fraunces Tavern., was originally uploaded at Flickr by gak who owns its copyright and can be contacted at the previous link. The image is posted here with that owner’s permission by barneykin, administrator of “The Revolution ed” pool.(17)