FORT INDEPENDENCE, Boston Harbor began as a well fortified bastion named Castle William. Located on Castle Island since the early years of the Massachusetts colony, the fortification was rebuilt in 1644, and burned in 1673. A new fort of stone was then erected, which, preceding the American Revolution, provided shelter for the British. After the Revolution, the name was changed to Fort Adams. It was President Adams in 1799, who renamed the works as Fort Independence.
The image, 000_1555, was originally uploaded at Flickr by Real_Bostonian who owns its copyright and can be contacted at the previous link. The image is posted here with that owner’s permission by barneykin, administrator of “The Revolution ed” pool. (2)