The Covenhoven house at 150 Monmouth Road (West Main Stree), Freehold, New Jersey, one of the largest and grandest Georgian style homes in the Monmouth County area, was built in the 1750s by Dutch settler, William Covenhoven. It was the seat of the large farm of William and his wife Elizabeth. During the American Revolution British General Clinton was occupying it before the famous Battle of Monmouth in June of 1778. The home has been known by various names during its long history. In 1969, the property was acquired by the Monmouth County Historical Association and restored and renamed for its builder. It has been furnished according to a 1790 inventory of Covenhoven’s estate, and is operated as a museum. Virtual Tour of Covenhoven Home.
Post updated 21 July 2007. The image, Covenhoven house, Freehold, is subject to copyright by waisikgwai. It is posted here with permission via the Flickr API by barneykin, administrator of “The Revolution ed” pool.