Robert and Hannah Thompson were the owners of the Thompson-Neely House during the American Revolution. Now located at Washington Crossing Historic Park, it was one of the local houses, known as “flying hospitals”, used by the Army during the bitter winter 1776/1777. The hospital was probably attached to General Lord Stirling’s brigade, although he never had his headquarters here.
General Lord Stirling was the commanding officer of the American troops encamped along the Delaware River.
After the first Battle of Trenton, future American President James Monroe and William Washington, of Lord Stirling’s Brigade, were believed to have been brought back to the Thompson-Neely House to heal from the severe wounds they received in battle.
Learn More: The American Revolution